Friday, June 18, 2004

Do You Ever Feel Stuck?

We say we want to make some major changes in our lives: lose weight, drink less, spend more time with the family, or clean out the closets. We feel very passionate about it but somehow we lose focus. Then we chastise ourselves for not making it happen. We let things we don’t want get in the way of taking the steps towards what we do want.

There can be many reasons for this: fear of failure, fear of success, fear of others not approving of what we want to do, fear of financial ruin, fear of embarrassment. If you cannot seem to move forward it is important to become aware of your fear and how it is getting in your way. The bottom line is that awareness is valuable, but taking action will move you forward. Action will always be required to make your dreams come true. When I feel overwhelmed by trying to achieve something that seems too big for me I procrastinate.

What finally gets me going is the realization that I can take it one little step at a time. I do not have to be “wonder woman.” I just need to be humble, and gentle with myself, and move – eventually it creates momentum. I realize that I feel mentally healthy by just committing to the race. Procrastinating takes much more time and energy and does not make me feel productive.

No comments:

Post a Comment