How do we make our lives less effort and more dance, or how do we reconnect with our innate inner peace?
We can change our biochemistry and create a mood enhancing affect. Scientifically we know that what we do with our body, affects our state of mind. We can lower our cortisol levels, (a stress hormone that does not make us feel great) and raise our serotonin, dopamine, and endorphin levels (serotonin, dopamine and endorphins make us feel great),
through these 6 external means
- Exercise - cardiovascular, or weight training
- Food - nutritious balanced meals release both serotonin and dopamine, (protein releases serotonin, carbohydrates release dopamine), when you balance your food you balance your mood, caffeine at low doses releases serotonin and dopamine, at high doses caffeine stimulates cortisol release
- Alcohol – while you feel momentary relieved and there is a short-term serotonin high, alcohol can deplete serotonin levels in your brain and inhibit glucose uptake, which can cause fatique
- Massage decreases cortisol by on average 31%, increases serotonin by 28%, and dopamine by 31%
- Sex – releases dopamine, it stimulates the feed and breed part of your nervous system
- Laughter – belly laughing 100 times a day is like rowing for 10 minutes, you lower cortisol, and increase your immunity
When we eat nutrient dense foods, protein, carbohydrates and fats together, we do not need to eat as much because our body is getting it's balanced nutrients and mood enhancing bio-chemicals. It then tells our brain that all is well.